Plum Borough


School District

Volunteer Button
Volunteer Button
Facebook Button
Twitter Button
Youtube Button
Tips Report Line

Media Relations

Media Relations
This page is designed to provide the media with information about the Plum Borough School District.

 About Plum

The earliest Plum school dates back to 1806 and was located in New Texas section of Plum. It was built of logs and had crude wooden desks. By 1889 Plum sustained nine one-room school houses. The three Rs (Reading wRiting and aRithimetic) made up the curriculum. The schools were used as voting places, spelling bees, and other community gatherings. In 1911 PA legislators passed the first PA School Code was in order to make make all schools uniform. School districts were recognized, qualifications for becoming a teacher were established and a minimum salary was legislated. School sessions were set at six months and Saturday classes were forbidden. The first teacher salary was set at $35 per month. The Plum monthly teacher salary was increased in 1923 to $75 per month. Plum schools were consolidated with Renton in 1918, Harding in1920, Logans Ferry in1922, and Stewart in 1938. Transportation became a requirement and buses were provided. Guy R Smith was the first supervising principal until he retired in 1950 and J.W. Hornbeck served from 1950-58. Nunzio DiPaolo became Plum’s first superintendent from 1958-1991 followed by J.P. Cummings from 1991­-1995, Dr. George Cooke 1995-2008, Dr. Lillian Naccarrati from 2008-2011 and Dr. Timothy S. Glasspool from 2012-present. The first Plum High School located at 200 School Road was opened in 1939. Prior to 1939 students attended high school in Oakmont, Verona, Penn Hills, New Kensington, Wilkinsburg or vocational schools. The first Plum graduating class was 1941 with 75 members. From 1939 through the 1950s agriculture was a large part of the curriculum. The 1939 the high school was the center of the community activities, with the major event being the annual Plum Twp. Farm Show. *In part from Allegheny Foothills Historical Society; & Barns, Barking and Boney Piles.

Overview
Plum Borough – 28 square miles - 29,000 residents - 3800 in-district students
4 Elementary Schools, 1 Junior High school, 1 High School 
 

Media Protocol For School Visits

The Plum Borough School District makes every attempt to work with the local, national, and international media to provide them with requested information. In order to make the media relations process work smoothly for everyone, we ask our media representatives honor the following requests:

  • Document information requests must go through the Right-to-Know Officer.
  • All interview requests must go through the Communications Office.
  • The District DOES NOT permit student or staff interviews on its property unless otherwise authorized.
  • Students being photographed must have prior parent permission before photographs or video can be taken in our schools.
  • When visiting any of our facilities, media are asked to report to the office and secure a Visitor ID Badge.
  • During any major crisis in our schools, a media center will be commissioned and media will be instructed on the location of this center via this web site.
Official Branding
  • The official colors of the Plum Borough School District are Royal Purple and Vegas Gold.
  • Royal Purple - #33033 (hex); 51,0,51 (RGB)
  • Vegas Gold - #C5B358 (hex); 197,179,88 (RGB)
  • The official font used on the district website is Georgia. 
  • The official academic logo is the Vegas Gold mustang overlapping the Royal Purple and Vegas Gold hexagon Plum Borough School District shield, available here.
  • The official athletic logo is the purple and gold mustang head, available here.