1. A commitment to share your home, family, and culture with a
teenager or teacher from another country for a year. Your guidance and
support are crucial as this person learns about U.S. culture.
2. A bed for the participant - he or she can share a room
3. Meals and inclusion in normal daily activities
In return, AFS has a thorough support system
in place for you and the participant:
1. Our partner countries screen applicants to ensure that
participants come here interested and ready to learn our culture and
2. Local volunteers will assist you throughout your participant’s stay
3. We also have a 24-hour, 7-day a week hotline that you, your participant, and your participant’s family can use at any time
4. Participants come with their own spending money and medical coverage.
5. We also have strong rules that ALL particpants agree to follow
while here -no driving, or abuse of illegal drugs - disciplinary action
will be taken against particpants who choose to break these rules, up to
and including being sent home.
For most host families, the toughest part is saying good-bye - that is,
until they learn that the friendship isn’t over, it just takes a new
Interested in Hosting?
Call 1-800-876-2377 or visit www.usa.afs.org