The Plum Borough School District is accepting applications for an Administrative Assistant position for the 2013-14 school year. The job of Administrative Assistant was established for the purposes of providing administrative support at a school site; maintaining attendance and supporting counselors or other site administrators (department chairs, athletic director, etc.); establishing and maintaining records; compiling and distributing materials and reports; and responding to inquiries from a variety of internal and external sources.
This job reports to the Principal.
- Compiles data for the purpose of preparing reports or processing requests.
- Compiles data from a variety of sources (e.g. student information system, work requests, personnel records, sports schedules, bus routes, etc.) for the purpose of complying with financial, legal and/or administrative requirements.
- Coordinates assigned projects and/or activities (e.g. parent teacher conferences, substitute assignments, travel requirements, testing schedules, report card mailings, athletic contests, etc.) for the purpose of completing activities, managing building usage, and/or delivering services in a timely fashion.
- Directs student workers for the purpose of providing guidance and meeting work requirements.
- Maintains a variety of manual and electronic documents files and records (e.g. student attendance, athletic eligibility, teacher handbooks, emergency information, facility use, time sheets, work orders, notification logs, etc.) for the purpose of providing up-to-date information and/or historical reference in accordance with established administrative guidelines and legal requirements.
- Monitors students referred for illness or disciplinary action for the purpose of ensuring student welfare and maintaining a secure office environment.
- Prepares a variety of correspondence, reports and other materials (e.g. PTA news, school calendar, discipline reports, withdrawal notices, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, providing written reference, and/or conveying information.
- Processes a variety of documents and materials (e.g. travel reimbursements, data corrections, status changes, absence verifications, etc.) for the purpose of disseminating information in compliance with established administrative guidelines.
- Researches assigned topics (e.g. attendance records, athletic policies, education codes, etc.) for the purpose of providing information for addressing department operations.
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of internal and external parties (e.g. district staff, other schools, government agencies, general public, students, etc.) for the purpose of providing information, facilitating communication among parties and/or providing direction.
- Schedules activities (e.g. appointments, meetings, travel reservations/accommodations, facility usage, etc.) for the purpose of making necessary arrangements for assigned administrator.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating standard office equipment including pertinent software applications; preparing and maintaining accurate records; analyzing; customer service; and problem solving.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: business telephone etiquette; office equipment/software; and English grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events; often gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use basic, job related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with a variety of data; and utilize job-related equipment. Problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: establishing and maintaining effective working relationships; communicating with diverse groups; displaying tact and courtesy; maintaining confidentiality; setting priorities; being attentive to detail; adapting to changing priorities; and working with frequent interruptions.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision following standardized practices and/or methods; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; and operating within a defined budget. Utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform the job's functions. There is a continual opportunity to have some impact on the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity.
Education: Associates degree in business administration or comparable field of study preferred.
Experience: 2-5 years experience working in an educational setting with excellent communication and computer skills preferred. Candidate must be an independent worker who can handle multiple tasks in a team-oriented environment.
Interested candidates must submit a resume, cover letter, three references, current Act 34, 114, and 151 clearances (dated within one year of application), and college and/or trade school transcripts to the following address by December 15, 2013:
Plum Borough School District
Attention: Michael R. Brewer
Director of Administrative Services
900 Elicker Road
Plum, PA 15239